Skip Header

Transfer your US stock plan shares held with Fidelity SPS

Bring over your Stock Plan Account shares held in the US with Fidelity Stock Plan Services (SPS) and keep them as they are or diversify and choose from a wide range of investment products and services.

Important information - please keep in mind that the value of investments can go down as well as up, so you may get back less than you invest.

Transfer shares from your US Stock Plan Account

If you have a Stock Plan Account held by Fidelity SPS in the US and live in the UK, you have the option of transferring some or all of your shares to Fidelity in the UK and enjoying more control over what you choose to do with them. When you transfer your shares into an Investment Account with us, they'll be transferred as they are, without having to sell them to cash, and then you can choose to:

  • sell or keep them as they are
  • diversify and take advantage of our award-winning products and services
  • transfer any other investments you hold elsewhere, so that everything can be managed in one place.

Please note, if you still hold share awards that have not yet been distributed, then these will remain in your Stock Plan Account and can be transferred once the shares have been distributed. 

Why should I transfer my stock plan shares?

As you live in the UK, holding your stock plan shares with Fidelity SPS in the US can limit what you can do with them and how you can make the most of your reward. If you transfer your shares to Fidelity in the UK, you'll not only benefit from no service fee on the exchange-traded instruments (shares, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), etc.) held in your Investment Account, but you'll also be able to do the following:

Fidelity SPS US
Stock Plan Account
Fidelity UK
Investment Account

Sell my shares and withdraw as cash

Foreign exchange charge of up to 2.5% to convert $ to £

Foreign exchange charge of up to 0.75% when you sell the US shares

Hold my shares as they are

Buy more of the shares I have been awarded

Access other types of investments, such as individual shares, and funds from a range of providers, including exchange-traded funds and investment trusts

Invest in a tax-efficient ISA or Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) alongside my Investment Account

Transfer my other investments, such as ISAs and pensions so I can see them all in one place

Access online tools and investment insights to support my other investment decisions

Access automatic compliance reporting functionality (should you need to report details of your investments to your employer)

*Regardless of where you choose to keep your shares, you’ll be able to exercise your shareholder proxy voting rights at Annual General Meetings (AGMs) and Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs).

What you'll need before you start your transfer

Please make sure you have the following to hand before you start the transfer process:

  • The number associated with your Fidelity Stock Plan Account in the US. This is known as the participant number. You can find this by logging into NetBenefits, which is the platform that holds your shares in the US. Alternatively, you can find it on your most recent correspondence from Fidelity SPS in the US.
  • Your National Insurance number if you’re going to be opening a new Investment Account with Fidelity in the UK. If you already have an Investment Account with Fidelity in the UK, then you’ll be directed straight through to your account during the transfer process.

How it works

  • When you submit a transfer request, if you haven't already set up an Investment Account with us then we will take you through our regular account set-up process. 
  • Whole shares will be brought over to your Fidelity Investment Account in the UK as they are - this transfer is known as an 'in specie' transfer. As the shares won't be sold when they're brought over, you won't be liable for capital gains tax. 
  • Fractional shares will be left in your US Stock Plan Account held on the NetBenefits platform. You may take action on fractional shares by logging in to NetBenefits
  • You won't be able to transfer any cash held in your US Stock Plan Account directly into your Investment Account, as we don't currently support this service. But, we will be offering this in the future. You may take action on cash by logging in to NetBenefits
  • At the end of your transfer, depending on the type of shares you hold, you may be asked to complete a W-8BEN form, (we need this even if you've already completed one on NetBenefits), which is used to certify that a person’s country of residence for tax purposes is not the United States. It's quick and easy to complete online and, if required, you’ll be directed to this form at the end of the transfer process. You can read more about the W-8BEN form here.

What to expect next?

  • It typically takes 3 weeks to move your shares from the US to the UK, subject to all information being in good order.
  • So that you can keep an eye on how things are progressing, we'll send you updates via text or email depending on how you've chosen to be contacted. You can also check on progress by logging into your account, going to 'Manage Investments' then clicking on 'Track your transfer'. 
  • Please remember that once the transfer has begun, you’ll be unable to act on the shares you’re moving until the process is complete. 
  • Once the transfer is complete, we'll send you a confirmation letter by post.
  • If you need any support then please call us on 0800 368 6811.

A guide to transferring your US stock plan shares

Find out more about how to transfer shares from your Fidelity US Stock Plan Account to Fidelity in the UK.

Download the guide

Transfer FAQs

What's the difference between Fidelity Stock Plan Services in the US and Fidelity in the UK?
What is a Fidelity SPS Stock Plan Account?
Why should I transfer my US stock plan shares over to Fidelity in the UK?
How are my US Stock Plan shares transferred to Fidelity in the UK?
What happens if I've been awarded shares that haven't been distributed to me yet?
What happens if I have an active instruction or deal on my shares in my Stock Plan Account?
Will I pay capital gains tax when I transfer my US shares to Fidelity in the UK?
Can I do a partial stock transfer?
What if I have cash in my US Stock Plan Account that I want to transfer?
Can I transfer my shares to my spouse/partner?
What if I hold fractional shares in my US Stock Plan Account?
Do I have to complete a new W-8BEN form?
How long will the transfer take?
What happens to any ongoing dividends that I am owed from my Stock Plan shares in the US?
What is a blackout period?
Do I need to comply with any blackout periods?
Why am I receiving letters by post when I opted to receive communications via email?
How can I keep an eye on the progress of my transfer?