In this section
If you don't need any money from your pension you can leave it all invested as it is. Alternatively, if you do want to access your pension pot then there are a number of ways you can do this.
Important information - the value of investments can go down as well as up, so you may not get back what you invest. Eligibility to invest in a SIPP and tax treatment depends on personal circumstances and all tax rules may change in the future. You cannot normally access money in a pension until age 55 (57 from 2028). It’s important to understand that pension transfers are a complex area and may not be suitable for everyone.
Work out what you have
There are lots of different places where you might get an income for your retirement. You’ll need to know what they are and how much you have so you can plan ahead effectively. Here are some points to consider:
Ready to chat?
Talk to someone about your retirement options in more detail
We can help
Close to retirement but unsure about the options and pitfalls ahead? We can offer guidance and advice to help you find the best solution for your retirement. Call us on 0800 368 6882, Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.
The government’s Pension Wise service offers free, impartial guidance to help you understand your options at retirement. You can access the guidance online or call on 0800 138 3944.
Helping you choose
Pension drawdown calculator
Understand how much income you could take and how long your pension might last at that rate.
Pension tax calculator
Use our pension withdrawal tax calculator to find out how much tax you could pay if you decide to take a lump sum payment from your pension.
Bring your pensions together
If you’ve built up a number of pension pots over the course of your working life, bringing your pension plans together into the Fidelity Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) could make them easier to manage.
Not to mention helping you keep an eye on costs and giving you access to a wealth of Fidelity guidance.
You can even track your transfer online, with the status of each request at your fingertips.
Learn more about this flexible retirement income option with the pension drawdown guide.
Cash Back Offer – terms and conditions
This Cash Back Offer (the “Offer”) is available when you apply to transfer your pension(s), ISAs or other investment account assets between 27th November 2023 and midnight on 1st April 2024.
- The promoter of this offer is Financial Administration Services Limited (“Fidelity”), Beech Gate, Millfield Lane, Lower Kingswood, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 6RP.
- Subject to section 5, the Offer is available to anyone who completes a transfer of their assets from other providers to Fidelity Personal Investing. This offer is not open to those that transfer via an adviser or intermediary. To transfer assets, you must submit a correctly completed transfer application form online or by paper by 1st April 2024.
- Cash Back will be paid in the amounts noted in the table in section 9. If you transfer less than £25,000 you will not receive any Cash Back. The minimum transfer value for all products is £100. However, if you are transferring a pension from another provider and you’re immediately going to start taking money from it, known as pension drawdown, the minimum transfer value is £50,000.
- The following types of transfer will qualify for the Offer:
- Cash transfer within ISAs and pension products – If you transfer in cash within ISAs and pensions, the provider you are transferring from will sell your investments and send the proceeds directly to us. We will hold them as cash within your account until you decide what you would like to invest in.
- Re-registration – With this type of transfer, you can keep the same investments as long as they're available on our platform. Where required, we will work with your existing provider to convert your units into a share class we can support before transferring them to us. Please note that a further conversion may be required to move you into the cheapest available share class on our platform. If a cheaper share class is available, we will also convert any existing holdings of that share class in your account. During this time, you will not be out of the market, and you may temporarily be converted into a share class with higher charges to facilitate the transfer. The share class conversion activity might take a few days and you will probably have a different number of units in the fund after you move as the prices of different share classes of the same fund are normally different.
If you hold an investment in a pension or ISA that is not available through our Investment Platform or is otherwise unable to be re-registered* it will be moved to us as a cash transfer (see above). Any investments held outside of a pension or ISA that cannot be re-registered will not be transferred to us. They will remain with the previous provider and will not count towards your total transfer value for the Offer. A re-registration does not count as a “disposal” for capital gains tax purposes, even if we switch your investment into a different share class. Please note that the minimum SIPP re-registration value is £100.
*Re-registration is not available for some products on the Fidelity Investment Platform. For example, a number of offshore funds cannot be re-registered. You can check what assets are available on our platform here.
- This Offer excludes:
- transfers of assets held in a product/account provided or administered by any company within Fidelity’s group of companies including, without limitation, transfers from the EBS SIPP and the Fidelity Personal Pension, or Fidelity Adviser Solutions (formerly FundsNetwork) SIPP, provided by Standard Life;
- transfers of assets currently held through Fidelity Adviser Solutions (formerly FundsNetwork);
- transfers from any defined contribution pension scheme investments held with, or in relation to, a current employer through, or administered by, a Fidelity group company;
- transfers of any defined benefit, safeguarded benefit or otherwise guaranteed pensions;
- transfers which are linked to an adviser or intermediary;
- transfer of Junior SIPPs; Junior ISAs and
- transfer of Lifetime ISAs (LISA)
- the lodgement of certificated shares
- The Offer will also not apply to assets that are currently held in a product/account provided or administered by any company within Fidelity’s group of companies which are transferred to another provider and then moved to Fidelity Personal Investing.
- Any other new investment will not qualify for the Offer.
- Any transferred assets will be subject to the applicable client terms for the product your assets have been transferred to.
- The amount of your Cash Back payment will be determined by reference to the “Total Transfer Value” as set out in the table below. Total transfer value will be calculated as at the date of completion of the transfer of your eligible assets (“Transfer Date”). If you transfer more than one product the Transfer Date will be the date when all the transfers have been completed.
Total Transfer Value Cash Back Amount £25,000 - £49,999 £200 £50,000 - £99,999 £500 £100,000 - £249,999 £1,000 £250,000 - £749,999 £1,250 £750,000 - £999,999 £1,500 £1,000,000 or over £2,000
- Cash Back payments will be paid to your Cash Management Account (CMA) within 90 days following closure of the Offer (1st April 2024). If the transfer of all of your eligible assets has not completed by then, we will pay within 90 days of your Transfer Date. The CMA is a separate account in your name that helps manage cash. The Cash Back can be kept in your CMA for fee collection, withdrawn or moved into whichever Fidelity Personal Investing account you choose. If moved into an ISA or SIPP, it will count towards your annual allowance.
- We ask that the assets you move to us as part of this Offer be held with us for at least 18 months after your Transfer Date and must not be linked to any adviser or intermediary other than a Fidelity adviser during this period. If you transfer or re-register your assets to another provider within this 18-month period, Fidelity reserves the right to reclaim any Cash Back payment that was made to you as part of this Offer. For the avoidance doubt, if during this period you link to a Fidelity adviser and your assets are transferred to Fidelity Adviser Solutions (formerly FundsNetwork) this does not constitute a transfer to another provider. Fidelity reclaim any Cash Back by withholding an amount prior to transferring or re-registering your assets to another provider. We will not reclaim any Cash Back from assets within a SIPP, other pension or ISA. Withdrawals from your account/s or income payment will not count as transfers for the purposes of this condition and will not result in our reclaiming your cash back payment.
We promote offers on a regular basis. However, it is important that you take enough time to decide whether transferring your investment(s) to us is right for you. If you need more time and wish to qualify for the offer, please wait until the next offer period.
Issued by Financial Administration Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority. Fidelity, Fidelity International, the Fidelity International logo and the F symbol are trademarks of FIL Limited.
Make the most of your pensions by bringing them together
If you’ve got pensions spread across different providers, moving them to Fidelity could help you take control and manage your money more effectively. Plus get £200 to £2,000 cashback. Exclusions, T&Cs apply.
Important information: This information is not a personal recommendation for any particular product, service or course of action. It’s important to understand that pension transfers are a complex area and may not be suitable for everyone. Before going ahead with a pension transfer, we strongly recommend that you undertake a full comparison of the benefits, charges and features offered. To find out what else you should consider before transferring, please read our transfer factsheet. If you are in any doubt whether or not a pension transfer is suitable for your circumstances or if you are unsure about the suitability of a pension investment, retirement service or any action you need to take, please contact Fidelity’s Retirement Service on 0800 368 6882 or refer to an authorised financial adviser of your choice.