Skip Header
Important information: The value of investments can go down as well as up so you may get back less than you invest. Investors should note that the views expressed may no longer be current and may have already been acted upon. This is a third-party news feed and may not reflect Fidelity’s views.

Thursday newspaper round-up: Coutts, Netflix, Tesla

(Sharecast News) - The City regulator has said it has contacted the owner of Coutts bank amid a growing row over its decision to close Nigel Farage's accounts, but told MPs that while lenders cannot discriminate against customers, it is ultimately up to firms to decide who to do business with. It came as the prime minister, the home secretary and the City minister waded in to the growing debate over the rights of lenders to shut or refuse accounts based on concerns over customers' political views. - Guardian Netflix added 5.9 million new subscribers in the last three months - almost three times as many as analysts expected - after clamping down on households that were sharing their passwords. The streaming giant is the first of the big tech and media companies to unveil their latest quarterly results. The figures come as strikes from writers and actors have hit the industry - the first time both unions have walked out since the 1960s. - Guardian

The billionaire co-owner of Asda has been reprimanded for stonewalling MPs after failing to answer "simple questions" on fuel price rises. Mohsin Issa was criticised for "wasting time" at the Business & Trade Committee, after repeatedly being asked why regulators had found Asda's fuel margin targets were three times higher than in 2019. - Telegraph

Revenue at Tesla has risen to a record after the electric carmaker cut prices in an attempt to boost sales, denting profit margins. Net income at the business climbed 20 per cent to $3.15 billion in the second quarter, as total revenue jumped 47 per cent to $24.9 billion. The group, led by Elon Musk, hailed a "record quarter on many levels", pointing to robust growth in production and deliveries. The company's shares were down by 98 cents, or 0.3 per cent, at $290.28 in after-hours trading last night. - The Times

One of Europe's largest operators of automated parcel lockers is paying £49.3 million to buy a 30 per cent stake in Menzies Distribution as part of a push into Britain. InPost, a Polish company listed in Amsterdam, also has agreed a three-year option to acquire the remaining 70 per cent of the Scottish logistics business. - The Times

Share this article

Related Sharecast Articles

Sunday share tips: PPHE, Keystone Law
(Sharecast News) - The Financial Mail on Sunday's Midas column labelled shares of PPHE an "attractive long-term buy" citing their valuation.
Sunday newspaper round-up: Middle East, Aston Martin, Defence
(Sharecast News) - Britons must accept that their country was now involved in the Middle East conflict, Tobias Ellwood said. The former defence minister warned that "nobody was in full control" of the growing conflict as more and more countries were sucked in. Ellwood also said that Tehran's strike had taken the conflict into a "new dangerous territory". - Sunday Telegraph
Friday newspaper round-up: Everton, AstraZeneca, Amazon
(Sharecast News) - Everton has paid about £30m in interest charges to an opaque lender associated with a tax exile, corporate records suggest. The charges appear to have reached about £438,000 a week, according to the troubled Premier League club's most recent set of accounts, a figure more than three times the reported wages of the Everton and England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. - Guardian
Thursday newspaper round-up: Border controls, McKinsey, KPMG
(Sharecast News) - New post-Brexit UK border controls coming into force later this month will cost British businesses £2bn and fuel higher inflation, according to a report warning that UK-EU trade will be damaged as a result. With less than a month before the introduction of new checks on animal and plant products from 30 April, the insurer Allianz Trade said the controls agreed under Boris Johnson's Brexit deal could add 10% to import costs over the first year. - Guardian

Important information: This information is not a personal recommendation for any particular investment. If you are unsure about the suitability of an investment you should speak to one of Fidelity’s advisers or an authorised financial adviser of your choice. When you are thinking about investing in shares, it’s generally a good idea to consider holding them alongside other investments in a diversified portfolio of assets. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.

Award-winning online share dealing

Search, compare and select from thousands of shares.

Expert insights into investing your money

Our team of experts explore the world of share dealing.