Skip Header
Important information: The value of investments can go down as well as up so you may get back less than you invest. Investors should note that the views expressed may no longer be current and may have already been acted upon. This is a third-party news feed and may not reflect Fidelity’s views.

Thursday newspaper round-up: Telecoms bills, Dyson, Ocado, Elon Musk

(Sharecast News) - Almost 6 million UK households are struggling to pay their mobile, landline and broadband bills, with the cost of living squeeze forcing many to cut back on essentials such as food and clothes, cancel or change a service, or miss payments to stay connected. A report from the consumer group Which? estimates that 5.7 million households have experienced at least one "affordability issue" in April, as cash-strapped homes struggle to cope with soaring bills and other costs. - Guardian The technology company Dyson has been fined more than £1m after one of its employees was injured when a giant milling machine fell on top of him. Dyson was ordered to pay £1.2m at Swindon magistrates court for failing to properly train its staff in handling the kit. The firm pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety laws. - Guardian

A senior City lawyer who told a client to "burn" chat logs to prevent evidence reaching Ocado could face prison for contempt of court. Raymond McKeeve, a former partner at Jones Day, was found by a High Court judge to have intentionally destroyed documents to stop data being searched at a company created by Jonathan Faiman, Ocado's co-founder. A search order had been issued after Ocado accused Mr Faiman's company of stealing corporate intelligence. - Telegraph

The Serious Fraud Office has convicted a fraudster of encouraging thousands of people to invest in properties in the Caribbean that were never built. David Ames has been found guilty on two counts of fraud by abuse of position for his role in the seven-year scheme as head of Harlequin Group. Mr Ames convinced 8,000 investors to pay a 30pc deposit on an unbuilt villa or hotel room and took half of the money as fees for the company and salesmen. - Telegraph

Elon Musk is seeking details from Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase about how the two banks advised Twitter when the Tesla boss was pursuing his $44 billion takeover of the social media company. Twitter is attempting to force Musk to complete the buyout, which the billionaire said in July he was backing out of over claims that the business had breached the terms of an agreement. - The Times

Share this article

Related Sharecast Articles

Friday newspaper round-up: Postal deserts, Philip Morris, Applied Materials, Elon Musk
(Sharecast News) - The owner of WH Smith's former high street business is aiming to change contracts with the Post Office to make it easier to close outlets within its stores, increasing fears that communities will become "postal deserts". TG Jones operates 180 post offices and it is understood that as many as 60 could be closed under a restructuring plan by Modella, the private equity group that renamed the WH Smith high street chain as TG Jones after buying it last year. - Guardian
Thursday newspaper round-up: Farage, Crispin Odey, Sam Altman
(Sharecast News) - Nigel Farage is facing a formal investigation by the parliamentary standards watchdog over a £5m gift from the crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne. The Reform UK leader received the money weeks before announcing he would stand as a candidate in the 2024 general election. - Guardian
Wednesday newspaper round-up: Elon Musk, JPMorgan CEO, Carillion
(Sharecast News) - Donald Trump is due to arrive in Beijing on Wednesday evening, the first visit to China by a US president in nearly a decade, as he seeks to mend power and prestige weakened by the war in Iran. Trump will bring tech leaders, including Elon Musk of Tesla and Tim Cook of Apple, and plans for headline-grabbing deals. He has said he expects China's leader, Xi Jinping, would "give me a big, fat hug when I get there". - Guardian
Tuesday newspaper round-up: Household spending, BuzzFeed, Grant Thornton
(Sharecast News) - Households cut back on their spending in April at the fastest pace in 18 months, as the conflict in the Middle East provoked fears of another cost of living crisis, a report from one of the UK's biggest banks has suggested. Barclays, which processes nearly 40% of the UK's credit and debit card transactions, said its data showed there had been a 0.1% fall in card spending last month compared with a year earlier. This was the first year-on-year fall since November 2024. - Guardian

Important information: This information is not a personal recommendation for any particular investment. If you are unsure about the suitability of an investment you should speak to one of Fidelity’s advisers or an authorised financial adviser of your choice. When you are thinking about investing in shares, it’s generally a good idea to consider holding them alongside other investments in a diversified portfolio of assets. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns.