External Power of Attorney
We need to see a Power of Attorney or a Court of Protection order authorising the attorney to deal with the financial affairs of the person whose account is held with us. We accept both internal and external Power of Attorney.
What a Power of Attorney can and can’t do
Attorney identification requirements
In order to comply with Money Laundering Regulations, we’re required to confirm the identity of all investors and their associated representatives controlling or funding investments on their behalf.
We may use an online referencing agency for this purpose (who will record an enquiry has been made) or request the submission of documentary evidence. Until the identities of all associated individuals have been verified, restrictions will be applied and will remain in place until outstanding verification has been obtained. These restrictions will not affect the value of the investment, but may prevent certain transactions from being completed.
Documentary evidence requested in order to complete verification of identity will be in the form of one document from each of the list below for each associated representative along with the submission of a completed ‘ Identification Guidelines Form’:
Items we accept as proof of name:
- Current passport
- Photo card UK driving licence* (counterpart only is unacceptable)
Items we accept as proof of address:
- Current UK driving licence* (Photo card or old version)
- Bank/building society statement (not more than three months old)
- Current year Council Tax bill
- Current utility bill – with gas, electricity, water or home telephone (not more than three months old)
- Current mortgage statement
- Council rent card or tenancy agreement
- Current year HM Revenue & Customs tax notification
* Photo card driving licences can only be submitted as proof of name OR proof of address, not both.
Please note that we only accept original or clearly certified copies of the original documents. If you choose to send in certified copies, please ensure that independent certification is obtained from the list of approved certifiers.
The certification process
Certification should be provided on each and every page, please make sure the following is provided with all certification:
- The words "I have seen the original document and I certify this to be a true copy of the original"
- The certifier's signature and printed name in full
- The date of signing
- Details of the certifier's professional capacity. The official/institution stamp should be applied as appropriate
- The certifier's full address and postcode
- The certifier's telephone number
List of approved certifiers
- Judge or magistrate
- Notary public (they will need to be based in the UK)
The following can provide anti-money laundering identity certification only:
- Director, officer or manager of a regulated financial services business (e.g. Bank Manager)
- Chartered Accountant
- Police or Customs Officer
- The Post Office