Commitment to responsible investing
We believe that by investing in companies which operate with high standards of corporate responsibility we can protect and enhance investment returns for our clients.
Through our rigorous bottom-up research process we gain an in-depth understanding of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues at a company level before they escalate and potentially threaten the value of our clients’ investments.
ESG is part of our investment process
There are four important inputs into how we analyse ESG for each company that we research - our analysts, our specialist ESG team, external research and our portfolio managers who actively consider ESG in their investment decisions.
ESG in real estate - how green is your castle?
Unlike investments in stocks and bonds, real estate represents a tangible, physical ownership of land or property and as such fund managers have more control over the ESG aspects of their investments.
Pulling away: Inequality as an ESG risk
This essay examines the current state of wealth distribution, its causes and the emerging threats to the status quo, to show why inequality is turning into an important sustainability risk.
Avoiding ‘cybergeddon’: ESG risk in an interconnected world
Cybersecurity and data protection are rapidly emerging as some of the biggest environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks for companies to manage.
An evolution of ESG at Fidelity
We are continually striving for enhanced ESG policies and integration into our investment process.
- We pursued initiatives to further integrate ESG issues into research and portfolio monitoring with increased collaboration between ESG specialists and investment teams.
- We have structured our engagement program to be more proactive and systematic in our engagement on environmental and social issues.
- Through direct dialogue and collaborative initiatives, we called on carbon intensive sectors such as oil & gas and electric utilities to make concrete commitments to substantially reduce carbon emissions.
- We began including ESG and carbon data as part of our portfolio managers’ quarterly reviews, to continue to raise awareness from and engagement with portfolio managers on these issues.
Contributing to global standards
We participate in the debate over the development of appropriate standards for responsible investment through our membership in various forums including:
- Asian Corporate Governance Association (ACGA)
- Corporate Governance Forum
- Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB)
- International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN)
- The Investor Forums (in both Japan and the UK)
- UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF)
- Dutch Association of Investors for Sustainable Development (VBDO)
In addition, we are signatories to the UK Stewardship Code and the Japanese Stewardship Code.
The UK Stewardship Code
We are a signatory of the UK Stewardship Code and we have received an independent assurance opinion on our stewardship & voting processes.Read about the stewardship code
Our voting record
We update our voting record on a quarterly basis setting out how we cast our vote at each company meeting.Read our voting record